Set system lock during backup
There are three different lock options during maintenance backup. Below you can find the pros and cons for each:
- 1. Maintenance mode - this is the most recommended option
- Description: The site is not usable during this mode, a 503 - Service Unavailable response is sent to each request. "The site is temporarily down for maintenance. Please reload this page in a few minutes." additional message is displayed in these cases. This can be edited in the file /conf/_maintenance.html. To enable this mode, rename the file /conf/_maintenance.html to /conf/maintenance.html (complete lock) or /conf/imaintenance.html (gives access to /install).
- The backup will contains exactly the same information what b2evolution has when the ‘Backup’ button is clicked
- The chance that some error occurs during the backup process is very low
- After the backup process is done, users can continue exactly the same place where they were in the moment when the backup was started.
- The site is not available at all during the backup
- 2. Maintenance lock
- Description: The site is usable with this lock. It prevent users to login the system (except for admins) and logged in users will be kicked out. This way sending comments/messages is not possible. It also prevents the DB from receiving updates (other than logging).
- The system is still usable with limited features.
- Anonymous users can read any posts/comments and they can also navigate through b2evolution. The only restriction for them is that they can’t leave comments during backup.
- The chance that some error occurs during the backup process is low.
- The chance that some error occurs during the backup is a little higher than in case of the maintenance mode.
- Users other than admins will be kicked out.
- Unsaved posts, comments and private messages will be lost because users get kicked out.
- 3. Leave the site open for modification - this is not recommended
- Description: There is no restriction during the backup process.
- The site is fully usable during the backup process.
- The exact state of the backed up data is not known because it can be modified during the backup.
- The chance that some backup error occurs is high.
The lock system parameter can be found in the back-office, at Site > Site settings, and also at System > Maintenance > Tools.
Created by • Last edit by on Jan 23, 2019