In this view you may manage the goals defined for the entire site.
- ID: the unique identifier number of each goal. This number has no practical use for final users, it is only an inner control code.
- Name: a "human readable" name assigned to each goal in order to identify them. Consider that this is not a unique field, so you may repeat the same name through several goals, but keep in mind that if you have a lot of goals with the same name, they will be difficult to differentiate and work with.
- Category: goals could be grouped in different categories, this column let you know to what category the current goal belongs. If you want to read more about goal categories, please go to this page: Goal Category Settings.
- Key: this is a unique identifier that let you construct the URLs to track your pages and links as explained in this page. (i.e.: ?5a145bebbb87948dbcfafee435c6d7?, in this case the yourkey part is the value of the Key column explained here).
- Redirect to: as explained below, if you are tracking clicks to particular links in your site, you may use this field to make a 32 redirect after the hit has been tracked. If you have defined a Temporary Redirect URL, and you are currently in the active period of that temporary URL, this field will be displayed in a bolded format.
- Def. val: as explained below, currently this field has no practical use elsewhere than this view. You may define your own criteria and set values that let you order this table and keep the goals organized as you want.
Creating a new goal
Whenever you want to create a new goal, just click on the link New goal, identified as seven (7) in the image above, and the following form will be displayed:
- Category: drop down menu that let you select to which category do you want to assign the new goal.
- Name: the name of the goal.
- Key: unique identifier to this goal. Although this field is not validated and no particular format is required, it is recommended to use a sort of code syntax to make easier any further task related with the goal. For example, you may use "Goal 1, fancy key", but maybe it is a better idea to use "goal-1-fancy-key".
- Normal Redirection URL: where to go after traking the goal. If you are tracking clicks on a particular link, then define that link using an URL like this: ?5a145bebbb87948dbcfafee435c6d7? and set the real link in this field. b2evolution will track the hit on the yourkey goal and then will make a 32 redirect to the URL defined in this field. This field is not required unless the following field has some content.
- Temporary Redirection URL: as explained for the field right above, if you need to redirect to a particular URL in a defined period of time, then put that URL in this field. When that period is over, the goal will track Normal Redirection URL as usual.
- Temporary Start Date: the starting date of the temporary redirection.
- Temporary Start Time: the starting date of the temporary redirection. Combined with the Start Date, they create a timestamp to define where to start redirecting to the temporary URL, clicks made before that timestamp will be redirected to the Normal Redirection URL.
- Temporary End Date: the ending date of the temporary redirection.
- Temporary End Time: the ending time of the temporary redirection. Combined with End Date, they create a timestamp to define where to stop redirecting to the temporary URL, clicks made after that timestamp will be redirected to the Normal Redirection URL.
- Default value: currently this field has no particular use for final users. Maybe you could use it to set some ordering index assigned to each goal, it is totally arbitrary and could be defined under your own criteria.
- Notes: open text field, you may add as many annotations about the goal as you want.
Created by • Last edit by on Sep 28, 2015