The behavior of the messaging module can be pretty complex in some situation.
This page explains a few rules about how it works.
- Every user who has different messaging permission except No Access has a contact list, and they can add/delete contacts from their own contact list. When A user creates a new B user contact then an A-B user contact pair will be created.
- Every user who has a contact list ( has different messaging permission except No Access ) can block annoying contacts and blocked contacts are no longer able to send private message to the user. There is an exception when the blocked contact replies to a group conversation, see Group conversation rule number two.
- Every time when A user receives a private message from B user ( It can be in a new conversation or it can be reply ), if A-B and/OR B-A contact pairs are not exists they will be created automatically.
Receive private message rules
- Users must have permission other than No access to messaging.
- Users who have permission other than No access to messaging can deny receiving private messages in the user preferences form by setting the "Other users can send me private message" option off. In this case the user may receive private messages only from users with permissions Read, Send & Delete any messages (including for blocked contacts) or Abuse management.
Send private message rules
- Users with permission Read, Send & Delete any messages (including for blocked contacts) or Abuse management are allowed to send messages to any other user except who has No Access permission to messaging.
- Users with permission Read & Send messages to anyone (except for blocked contacts) are allowed to send messages to any user who may receive private messages ( has messaging permission other then No Access and didn’t deny receiving private messages ), except for users who blocked them in their own contact list!
- Users with permission Read & Send messages to people who have me in their contacts list only (except for blocked contacts) are allowed to send messages to any user who may receive private messages and have the sender in their own contact list, and the sender user is not blocked!
- Users with permission No Access are not allowed to send private messages.
Group conversation rules
- User A is allowed to start a new group conversation if A is allowed to send private message to every user from the group conversation recipient list.
- User may reply only in those conversations where he/she is involved! User is allowed to reply to a conversation where he/she is involved, only if there is at least one user between the recipients who didn’t block the sender. However, if user has permission Read, Send & Delete any messages (including for blocked contacts) or Abuse management, then he can always reply, no matter what (all checks are bypassed).
- Note: Just like in the case of individual messages the contact pairs will be created. If A user send message to B and C, then A-B, B-A, A-C, C-A contacts will be created.
Created by • Last edit by on Sep 21, 2015