In VPS hosting, which stands for Virtual Private Server hosting, a physical server is divided into several logical virtual servers, each of which is isolated and private. This means that, contrary to shared hosting, you get full root access to your server and no other user can sneak into your account or files. You can also fine tune all configuration files and you can even run any linux program that you may want to.
VPS hosting is almost as good as dedicated hosting. The only drawback is lower performance. You do get a reserved amount of RAM and CPU cores BUT the pipeline between the processor and the RAM or between the processor and the hard drive still gets shared between several VPS instances. It can be a performance bottleneck compared to a dedicated machine. The big advantage, though, is that you get all the security and flexibility of a dedicated server, at just a fraction of the price.
The main caveats in choosing your VPS hosting provider, are:
- Performance: this depends as much on the actual specs of the physical servers the hosting company uses as on how many virtual servers the hosting provider decides to run on each physical server. This information is very difficult to get by.
- Technical support: with root access to your server, it is pretty easy to mess things up. In those cases, quality and reactive technical support make a huge difference from one host to another.
Below is a list of VPS hosting companies we have successfully run b2evolution blogs and forums on.
Top recommended VPS hosting plans for November 19, 2018
For this list we have set a minimum of 2 CPU cores and 2 GB of RAM.
|Web Host||Hosting company|
|BlueHost||$ 18.99/month||2 cores||2|
|GreenGeeks||$ 59.95/month||4 cores||2|
|LunarPages||$ 44.95/month||2 cores||2|
|1||Cloud VPS infrastructure|
|LiquidWeb VPS||$ 59.00/month||2 vCPU||2|
|I/O Zoom||$ 20.00/month||2 cores||4|
|1||Failover Cloud VPS|
Minimum recommended specs for a VPS
In order to run a CMS such as b2evolution, Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, etc. with fast loading pages (otherwise you don't need a VPS), we recommend the following minimum specs:
- SSD drive. This is an absolute requirement nowadays. (We have eliminated cheap VPS offers with non-SSD drives from this page. Their poor performance doesn't justify using a VPS over shared hosting.
- 2 GB of RAM. This is useful to allow MySQL or MariaDB to process complex SQL requests efficiently.
- 1 CPU core. 1 is actually enough but you will notice a difference with 2 cores as soon as you run maintenance operations.
Of course, these specs will require upgrade as your site grows and serves more traffic / more concurrent users.
Learn more about VPS hosting
Hosting plan details
« InMotion Hosting’s Virtual Private Servers are a great alternative to dedicated servers and perfect for those who need more than what a shared account can offer. They have everything necessary to be a complete separate server, including optional root level access.
Current Prices and Promotions for InMotion VPS
Selected hosting package: VPS-1000HA-S
« Our custom-built servers and 24/7 team of experts deliver breakthrough performance that grows with you. Get up and running in seconds. Whereas most VPS solutions take hours or days to activate, we designed our VPS servers to provision immediately. »
Extreme performance • Instant provisioning • Guaranteed resources • Root access • CentOS
Current Prices and Promotions for BlueHost VPS
Selected hosting package: Standard VPS
Cloud VPS infrastructure
15% OFF with coupon code evo2 !
« Many other hosting providers will take a single, physical dedicated server to create multiple VPS servers using the hard resources that dedicated server has to offer. In other words, they will take one physical server and split it up into many smaller Virtual Private Servers. The problem with this is if there is a hardware failure, such a CPU, RAM, or Hard Drive failure, every VPS under that machine will experience a problem. Sometimes these failures are catastrophic.
This is why Lunarpages offers the Scalable Cloud VPS Hosting solution. Lunarpages uses a state of the art configuration which involves putting up a redundant storage area network with redundant, high-speed solid state disk storage connected to a high availability cluster of Frontend Servers loaded with ram and the best processors available. We then use a virtualization software to create a layer of virtual servers from the Storage Area Network and Frontend Servers. At no time is your VPS dependent on one physical machine so if there is a hardware failure in one of the physical machines in the cloud of web servers, each virtual private server remains online. The remaining physical machines pick up the workload and carry on. »
CentOS 7 / Ubuntu / Windows Standard 2016 Server • Host UNLIMITED Sites • Root SSH Access • Managed Hosting • 99.9% Uptime • 30 Day Money Back Guarantee • Guaranteed RAM
RAM: 1 GB increments up to a total 12 GB of ram $0.60 per GB per day • CPU: increase up to 8 core $0.30 per core per day • Disk Space: increase for $0.015 per GB per day • Bandwidth: $0.35 per GB
Current Prices and Promotions for LunarPages Scalable Cloud VPS
Selected hosting package: Scalable Cloud VPS
« VPS hosting is not created equal. With Liquid Web, you’ll enjoy 100% US-based Heroic Support®, 24/7/365 phone and chat support, and a 59-Second support SLA.
Faster than AWS and Rackspace.
cPanel or Plesk Onyx.
Engineered for peace of mind with CloudFlare® CDN, built-in backups, enhanced security, and DDoS Attack Protection. »
Current Prices and Promotions for LiquidWeb VPS
Selected hosting package: 2GB RAM
Failover Cloud VPS
« Lightning-fast SSD servers starting from $8/mo.
- If you don't actually need to fine tune your configuration or if you are looking for a lower budget hosting solution, check out our selection of shared hosting plans.
- If your have a higher budget, we actually recommend that you consider a small cheap dedicated server which will give you significantly better performance. For example, you may get 10 times the performance of a VPS for only 3 times the price of a VPS.