The current version 0.9.0.3 has been installed by a lot of people and we got a lot of feedback; even reports on little bugs that have been there for several months without anyone noticing!
Version 0.9.0.5 "Berlin" aims at fixing most of these little bugs in order to make version 0.9 even better than it already was!
We should release this new package tomorrow. Translators, please send last lang file updates before 06:00 UTC Saturday.
Of course, you'll get a little more than just little bug fixes:
- Movable Type Import (blueyed)
- Geeklog Import (jeffbearer)
- Upgrade procedure will fix /' and /" in older posts (fplanque)
- pt-BR localization is back and enhanced (walter)
- Added switch for easy disabling of category selection checkboxes in _categories.php (fplanque)
- Added more customizations options to the Calendar (fplanque)
- WordPress CSS compatible skins for those of you who have requested WP design on b2evo technology. We can hardly make it any more WP alike! All you need to do is drop any WP CSS design into a wpc_* skin folder and you'll instantly feel like you're running WP! (Of course, this will hide away some b2evolution's additionnal features that do not exist in WP, so you'll probably want to elaborate a little on your WP CSS anyway...)
Yesterday I created a b2evo IRC channel for fun and sent the address to a few contributors. I thought I'd see one or two of them passing by...
To my surprise, everyone dropped by! And we spent a couple of hours yesterday evening chatting together. There's always been someone on the channel ever since! So I guess it's alive and bound to stay!
You are all invited to join for discussion. The channel is #b2evolution on irc.freenode.net .
We'll try to all get together today at 17:00 UTC (click for local times).
If you are unfamiliar with IRC, don't worry. I was too, no later than yesterday!
Here are some more IRC resources:
I'll be off for a few days. There's so much happening in the forums right now that I'd really like to stay and iron out any remaining issues on 0.9 . However, I really have to leave here. So I'll work twice as much on b2evo next week when I'm back!
Anyway, there's some great stuff you can check out in the next few days:
- The long-awaited-but-finally-alive-since-Graham-thankfully-took-it-over Skin Site is opening in public beta. Check it out! And if you've got some cool skins you've been working on, please submit them and let the world know!
- As announced previously, blueyed's MT migration script should be available shortly, just let him recover some sleep Check out the forum topic on MT-to-b2evo.
With all the frustration about MT3's licensing conditions, we've been asked a lot about a migration tool from MT to b2evo... just like many other blogtool makers I guess
The bad news is that right now, we can't offer much more than our brand new version 0.9 and some cut & paste...
The good news is that we're working on a migration script. You'll have it in less than two weeks... at most! I'd promise it for tomorrow if we hadn't already rescheduled so much of our normal lives to arrange for the timely release of the 0.9 beast!
For the last year, b2evo has been designed as a Free, Open-Source, GNU GPL alternative to MT. We have already included all the bells and whistles you might expect as an MT user, so trust me, the migration script is going to be there too!
As promised, here it is!
There's so much good stuff in this one I don't even know where to start!
So I'll start by thanking blueyed for the incredible work he did on this release. I don't think a single contributor has ever coded that much into a single release. It was quite hard for me to keep up!
Okay, let's go for a quick rundown of new features:
- Install and start using b2evo without editing a single config file (fplanque)
- Localized install screens (blueyed)
- Most settings moved to backoffice
- Improved antispam with full control on what you report to the centralized blacklist (fplanque)
- RSS & Atom Feeds for Comments (fplanque)
- Comment authors are automatically identified with their profile if they are logged in (fplanque)
- Comment permalinks (fplanque)
- New template tags (object oriented) (this is the visible part of the code cleaning iceberg (fplanque)
- Enhanced Calendar (counts posts, links to archive of month, browse by year...) (blueyed)
- More link type options (fplanque)
- Search Engine Friendly Permalinks: use post title in the url (URL titles) (fplanque)
- Community blogs: protected posts are now restricted to blog members and are no longer visible by any logged in user. (fplanque)
- Optional output buffer handling, which provides ETags-support and handles gzip compression. (blueyed)
Plug-in system, with value added plugins included: (fplanque)
- Texturize plugin.
- Auto-P plugin.
- Textile 2.0 plugin.
- Comments can be closed / open / disabled (post per post). (fplanque)
- Full locale support instead of lightweight language support.
- Locales can be fully administered in the backoffice now. (blueyed)
- b2evo will redirect to correct blog if permalinks point to wrong one (fplanque)
- Blogrolls have been renamed to Linkblogs which should be a little easier to understand.
- Backoffice improvements.
Go get it from the downloads page.