Here's a quick update on what we've been working on since the last update ;)
GitHub has become the go-to place for open source projects of all kinds. It was about time for b2evolution to be on GitHub too. We're happy to announce the new b2evolution git repository on GitHub:
This repository is already ahead of the latest 5.1.1-beta.
We are updating it weekly for now and we plan to use it as the primary development repository in the (near) future. Which means you will have extremely easy access to bug-fixes and new features in real-time as we work on them.
If you're unfamiliar with git and github, it is still very easy to download and keep up to date with this repository if you use the Git Client tool that can be downloaded from the GitHub home page.
We changed our intro last month and changed it again today! There's so many possible angles to look at b2evolution that it's a bit tricky to choose one that really catches the gist of it...
We also streamlined the design some more. It's starting to look much more modern.
Anyways, as always, feedback on the homepage design is very welcome.
As a side note, let us give a plug to Font Awesome which we're now starting to use across the whole site.
Update: We also updated the design of the news blog ;)
The last month of development was very focused on performance. More specifically on reducing the number of files being loaded with each page b2evolution serves and also the size of the files.
This was achieve with several techniques:
- Concatenating multiples CSS and JS files into one;
- Minifying the CSS and JS files;
- Doing the above two automatically using Grunt (Note: You'll find our
Gruntfile.js in the GitHub repository mentioned above));
- Loading non essential JS files asynchronously;
- Using an icon font instead of image sprites;
- Loading some resources from public CDNs...
You may already have noticed page load time improvements on this site. You will benefit from the same in b2evolution 5.1.2.
We expect to release version 5.1.2 before the end of July. We may call it "stable" instead of "beta" if it passes the tests.