Ok, version 1.10 has been out for 3 months now and it's been super stable for 2 months.
Now, I can't stress this enough: if you haven't done so yet, for your own good, please upgrade any prior version to version 1.10 now!
If you're running 1.8 or 1.9, it is very easy too!
1) Download the latest stable 1.10
2) Optionally save your current /conf/_basic_config.php file if you don't want to reconfig later.
3) Upload all the new files over the old ones
4) Optionally, upload your previous /conf/_basic_config.php file back
5) Go to /install and run the installer which will take care of upgrading/fixing a few details in the database.
Your 1.8 and 1.9 skins will work on 1.10.
Again, please trust me: you want to do that upgrade and you want to do it now. Not tomorrow and certainly not next week.
Note for those who are waiting for 2.0: we will indeed release a 2.0-alpha as soon as I find a desk to work on (I'm in the US until the end of the month with a super heavy schedule... and unfortunate shady hotels in between :P).
But this will be an alpha. It will be months before 2.0 gets as stable as 1.10. Plus the upgrade to 1.10 is super easy while the upgrade to 2.0 will not be so easy.
Did I mention that now is better than tomorrow? Seriously.