« Feature list for b2evolution v4.0.0-alphaNews from the b2evolution v4 front »

Quick update about v4 progress

May 11, 2010 @ 02:11, by fplanque • Category: Development

We tried to put so many new features into b2evolution v4, and we tried to make everything so perfect, that by asking us for a release date, we just had to make a wild guess... Especially: a guess about when we'd be satisfied enough with the outcome to make a public release.

Well, it turns out that at the end of April, we were not satisfied!

Sure, we were satisfied about everything that had already been done. But we were not satisfied about the big picture and the global coherence of the development at that stage. Making an alpha release at that point wouldn't have made much sense beyond "being on time" for the sake of "being on time".

There would have been features partially implemented and others not working because they depended on something else to be finished... So, instead of releasing a version that would have been "broken but it's an alpha, what did you expect?" we decided to wait a little and release an "alpha version you can actually run on production"... because that's just we way we like our alphas to be! ;)

So, we took the to-do list, combed through it carefully and came up with a feature set rather than a date. That feature set is not perfect, but it will still make a coherent alpha. Based on that, our best guess would be a release early June.

Later than expected, but you'll get so much more out of it that you'll probably agree it was worth the wait. After that, we'll resume to incremental changes and more regular releases.

Btw, in your opinion, what would be the ideal delay between successive releases?

12 comments

Comment from: Fraser Pearce [Visitor]
Fraser Pearce

I would say that there isn’t an ideal delay, as such. As long at its being actively developed where needed, and that its staying a modern and secure product, I’m happy to wait ‘until its done’.

Keep up the good work :)

05/11/10 @ 11:55
Comment from: slamp [Visitor]
slamp

Major release: b2evolution 3.0.0, 4.0.0: 1 release every 2 years
Minor release: b2evolution 3.x.0, 3.x+1.0: 2 releases per year
Maintenance update: b2evolution 3.0.1, 3.0.2: as necessary

05/11/10 @ 11:58
Comment from: rrohde [Visitor]
rrohde

The release cycle of Ubuntu would be cool. Some new bleeding edge version every six month, with one of them being a LTS (long term support) stable version for those that just want something to work. Early adopters can then always pick the six-monthly ones for testing the latest greatest…

05/13/10 @ 09:11
Comment from: Sebastián Lalaurette [Visitor]
Sebastián Lalaurette

Ah, I’d say anything longer than three months increases the fear of b2evo dying forever. But your mileage may vary. I had to fundamentally change the structure of my blogs to get around a very basic and nasty bug I reported a year ago, because, well, I didn’t know if this was ever going anywhere.

The work you do is impressive, but in all honesty you shouldn’t release a CMS with many advanced features and a radical flaw in the navigation of a multiblog, when fixing it should be easy.

That said, I still think b2evo is wonderful and I am happy that it keeps running. Kudos for you all!

05/20/10 @ 17:58
Comment from: Steffen [Visitor]
Steffen

To me it’s better to wait a few weeks than beeing disappointed of what has been done so far. So dont hesitate to take the time you need, it’s completely ok!

On this note I’ll quote 3D Realms.
When will you finish work?
“When it’s done!”

05/20/10 @ 21:34
Comment from: fplanque [Member]

Sebastian: have no fear! That nav thing though is definitely one of the features that are on the edge of included now or included in the next one.

06/01/10 @ 01:35
Comment from: David Newcomb [Visitor]
David Newcomb

Perhaps a more manageable delay would be the time it takes to complete 1 feature.
It’s difficult though when the project is starting a new development branch because there are lots of different features being worked on at the same time. I agree with Francois, I think an alpha should, at the very least, hang together and mostly work.

06/02/10 @ 10:51
Comment from: Json [Visitor]
Json

looking forward for the new features

06/03/10 @ 17:48
Comment from: Hybride [Visitor]
Hybride

Whatever you guys think is workable! I prefer waiting a bit longer (with maybe more interaction?) than getting the version done quicker with shoddier work.

As long as there is posts being shown that you guys are actively still working on it (maybe a sneak peek or two?), then patience works with me!

06/11/10 @ 21:58
Comment from: fplanque [Member]

Actually, I can’t wait myself to get it out! Just got a lot of other stuff that got into the way… Working on it!! :)

06/11/10 @ 23:06
Comment from: AlexR [Visitor]
AlexR

All I can say is you guys got it going! I really appreciate the work you do and the generosity you display. As far as a release date between versions, take your time and get it to where you are comfortable with your work. That’s what matters most!

Thanks for all that you do and keep on keeping on!

Regards,
Alex

06/21/10 @ 02:14
Comment from: nthomeplans [Visitor]
nthomeplans

Cool project. Wonder how long until its live.

06/24/10 @ 20:54