The exciting release time has come again. "Phoenix" has moved to something more mature we now call the "Summer Beta" and it is available for download today:
As said, it is a Beta, which means there are still issues (like pesky bugs) but nothing critical though. It is strong enough to run this site as well as the developpers' sites... so there's a pretty good chance it's ready for you too! ;)
New features include:
- Validation of email address to activate user's account on registration (enabled by default) (blueyed)
- Users and anonymous visitors can opt-out to receive emails through message form (blueyed)
- Extended plugin architecture: (blueyed)
- Event-driven instantiation of Plugins
- Interface for Settings and UserSettings
- Easy setup for a database schema a plugin wants
- Basic guestbook spambot defeating techniques -- basic spambots account for over 90% of the comment spam!! (fplanque)
- Comment moderation (enabled for each blog by default) (fplanque)
- Broadened keyword matching (fplanque)
- Publish/Delete comments based on spam karma threshold, reported by plugins (blueyed)
"Basic Antispam Plugin":
- Double-checking referers moved there (blueyed)
- Option to check content in trackbacks about link to your blog; enabled by default (blueyed)
- rel="nofollow" is now optional
- Option to disable feedback from anonymous visitors (blueyed)
- DNS Blacklist antispam plugin (blueyed)
- Blocking requests where the referer has been detected as spam is now optional. Also it does not block requests to the backoffice any longer. (blueyed)
- "Exit to blogs..." link respects selected blog (blueyed)
- Preview for comments in frontoffice (blueyed)
- ItemList2 class which will replace ItemList. Better performance, security, stability and new features:
- Filtering of posts on assignees with assgn=1 or assgn=1,2 or assgn=-1,2 or assgn=-
- Filtering of posts on extra statuses with status=1 or status=1,2 or status=-1,2 or status=-
- Scheduled tasks (cron) framework (fplanque)
- Automatic retrieval of antispam blacklist (fplanque)
- db_delta() functionality that allows easier upgrading (blueyed)
- MySQL 5 strict mode compatibility (blueyed)
- Fixed/Rewritten Auto-P plugin (blueyed)
- ETag-header- and GZip-compression-support moved into transport optimizer plugin (blueyed)
- Removed no longer supported Geeklog and Miniblog upgraders. (It is still possible to upgrade from those by upgrading to b2evo 0.9 and then to b2evo 1.x
- Added /conf/_basic_config.php which holds just the basic settings (as _config.php before, but without the including the other files). You should merge your settings from _config.php to _basic_config.php.
- Many many many bug fixes...
The anti-spam improvements are much appreciated. and I probably should try this release before commenting but I don’t have the time.
Those developing anitspam aspects of b2evo should check out the user controlled basic anti-spam settings techniques used on the blog engine “serendipity". I have found them more effctive a idetifying spam than previous realeases of B2evo. Most noteable is the use of random .gif images that contain a short password (which are of course unreadable to robots) required for adding comments. But perhaps similar techniques are included in the “Basic guestbook spambot defeating techniques” included in this version? If this is the case if it will be much welcomed.
Indeed… you should try it!
Well, I jumped into it.
Is it a waste of time to attempt skin, CSS and file edits before the final 1.8?
An issue that confued me ( easily done ) was the Media file which is now at CHMOD 777.
1) New install 1.8(b)(locale) anu blog:
Illegal mix of collations (cp1251_general_ci,IMPLICIT), (latin1_swedish_ci,COERCIBLE), (latin1_swedish_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation ‘ IN ‘(Errno=1270)
:( (I can help to test for error correction )
see detail: http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=8370
2) To whom send my the translation messages.po(Russian)
3) Much want russian branch on forum!
Wiki’s been updated to reflect the changes;
Re: “use of random .gif images that contain a short password”
I’ve released version 1.8 of the captcha_img_plugin:
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=160495&package_id=196745 . You may also want to take a look at its manual page: http://manual.b2evolution.net/Plugins/captcha_img_plugin
Installed fine on a test site. Now lets try to tweak it :)
I realized there’s no Japanese locales after upgrade. The site can’t display right characters after that. I tried clean install on the other site, the result remains the same. Downgrade is not accepted anyway. So I’m waiting for not-beta version.
The locales are comming. We are working on them.
In the meantime, you may want to get your locale from here:
(locales may not be up to date but should work nethertheless).
any idea on what can i do to correct the situation ?
by the way, thanks for B2evo, antispam etc.. !! superb work !
hmmm my fault..i should have updated the skin custon coming in the new beta package, now everything works fine..i was updated the custom skin for 1.6.. all my fault :) keep up with the good work !
this is great ! works perfect !
Will the new spam feature support keyword matching? right now we get a lot of “nice work", or “nice website", or “You’ve done a great job!”
It would be nice to be able to block such keywords.
It would also be nice to block entire domains like “*.be”
or “*.ru” which seem to be getting the best of us.
Comment from: Derek Visitor
The version 1.8-beta is unable to display archives by year. For eg. at http://demo.b2evolution.net/stable.php4/blogs/index.php?blog=2&m=2006 it just displays “Sorry, there is no post to display…” This is surely a bug as the 0.9.2 does not have this issue.
Will it be a huge problem for me to go from 0.91 straight to 1.8 ? What do I need to know ?
Just a quick reminder: this is not the right place for tech support.
dear folks and pilgrim
any idea about the final version
maybe then No 10 ;o)
great software !