b2evolution is a free, powerful software engine that will allow you to build a full-featured website and manage it over time. If you wish so, b2evolution can also manage multiple sites with a single installation.
This section will give you an overview of the b2evolution software as well as its main features and areas.
If you wish to get started right away, skip over to: Installation Guide - Getting Started.
b2evolution is a Complete solution for running Content + Community websites. We call it a C3MS (Complete Content + Community Management System).
b2evolution allows you to run a website – internet, intranet or extranet – which can combine any of the following features:
- Hot content (news, blogs) + ability to vote & comment;
- Reference content (online manuals, FAQs, books) + ability to vote & comment;
- Isolated pages of content + ability to vote & comment;
- Photo galleries & albums + ability to vote & comment;
- Discussion forums, including tracking of read/unread topics + votes on answers;
- Custom types of content with custom post types;
- A user directory, with grouping by organizations;
- Private messaging between users;
- Email campaigns / newsletters for members.
You can run as many or as little of the above as you want and you can add more at any time.
You can run these as sections of a single website, as subdomains, as independent domains or a combination of all these. See also: multi-blog scenarios.
All the features above are integrated into a single piece of software to install!
This means: you have a single user database (no sync issues), a single maintenance / upgrade requirement and no obligation to wander into "plugin hell" – as admins of other systems describe the problem of maintaining a system composed of dozens of independent pieces evolving each at their own pace…
In order for the whole system to function well and efficiently, b2evolution further includes the following support features:
- A complete and integrated back-office for managing:
- Advanced permission management
- Email notifications to alert users about new contents to read or to moderate
- Return email processing (to detect emails that could not be delivered) – Learn more: Sending Email : Processing Overview.
- Security features
- Antispam features
- SEO settings
- Server-Side Analytics (SSA), including Goal Tracking
Tech / Dev features
- Multiple cache levels for performance
- Skin system & API
- Plugin system & API
- RSS/Atom Feeds
- XML Sitemaps
Rarely used but worth mentioning for those who need them:
- Post by email.
- Review of the main features of b2evolution.
- Frequently Asked Questions about b2evolution in General
1. Getting Help Through the Dashboard
The first place to look for help is located on the top left corner of your dashboard. Hover over the b2evolution tab on the menu, and you’ll see a drop-down menu that contains links to open the following support portals:
When having difficulty troubleshooting, the first point of reference should be the online user manual; this is where the official support documentaion for b2evolution can be found.
When the online help feature is enabled, help icons are displayed next to certain features within b2evolution. Clicking on these links will open the relevant help topic from the online user manual in a new browser window.
Page manual link
There is a direct link to an online manual page related with the view that you are currently looking at. When this page is already created in the online manual, then the text next to the icon is Manual page. When the manual page has not been created yet, the text next to the icon is: View manual. The Page manual link icon is located at the top right corner.
2. Troubleshooting Using the Forum:
The official b2evolution forum can also be used to obtain help when you’re looking to troubleshoot a specific problem. When you first access the forum, it’s important to search for existing threads that address your problem first. Many support questions have already been covered in detail.
Here are some links to common user problems:
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Recovering a lost password
- Moving your b2evolution installation
- Enabling cross posting to multiple blogs
- Import/Export Databases
- Configure b2evolution for non-English posts
- Change menu text
- .htaccess www and non-www redirects
- Using preloaded sample blogs
User to User b2evolution Support:
Important note: When you are requesting support on this board, it’s imperative to include which b2evo version you are using, as well as the URL you are having difficulty with. Without that information, other users will not be able to help you troubleshoot.
- 4.1x: Prevent analytics from logging admin visits
- 4.1x: Adding new users in bulk
- 4.1x: Migrating entire blog to a new site
- 4.1x: Problems upgrading from 2.4.7 to 4.1.5
- 4.1.x: Uploading favicon.ico
- 4.1.x: Trouble with featured post
- Adding a comment teaser to the sidebar
Templates, skins, XHTML and CSS:
- How to upload a logo
- 2.x: Creating a new skin
- Skin doesn’t work after upgrade
- 3.3.3: Removing date posted
Plugins & Extensions:
Important note: Many plugin authors offer support on the main forum; however, others may have their own support portal that they would like you to use instead. Please refer to the readme.html file included in the plugin folder to find out where you should look for support.
Here are the main support threads for some of the most common plugins used:
- Insert a picture gallery
- 4.1.5: Problems with Twitter plugin
- Password protect posts
- Create posts from XML feeds
- Attach an avatar to a user, post, category or blog
- Replace standard search with advanced search functions
If you have a suggestion for a specific plugin you would like to see please refer to this section of the forum: Request a Plugin or Hack.
When trying to add additional functionality to your blog, it is recommended that you code a new plugin as opposed to hacking the main code. You can get help here: Plugin Development Assistance.
Further Troubleshooting Tips:
If you think that you are experiencing a bug, you can post a report here: Bug Reports.
In reading this manual, it is assumed that you have following knowledge:
- An understanding of manipulating computer files & folders, uploading and downloading files, uncompressing ZIP archives ;
- A basic understanding of the following concepts: Website, Blog, Forum ;
- A basic understanding of the technical platform on which b2evolution will run: Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP or LAMP ;
- What a web host is and why you need one to make your blog/website accessible to the public 24/7 ;
Additionally, the following knowledge will be necessary to exploit b2evolution to its full power and extent, but is not absolutely necessary to get started:
- How to use FTP client software to upload files to your web host ;
- How to create a MySQL database on your web host ;
- How to use a text editor to edit text or PHP files ;
As a complete engine for your website, b2evolution will actually allow you to run several blogs on your website and some (or all) of these blogs may actually not even be blogs! As a matter of fact, they could be Forums or Online Manuals.
Therefore, we sometimes use the term Collection which is more general than Blog to designate a collection of Posts or Items which, put together, constitute a Blog, Photoblog, Forum, Online Manual, etc.
More generally, please refer to the Glossary for any term you don’t fully understand.
- This section presents what's new with each new release